If you suspect that you are struggling with anxiety, but are unsure if you have an actual anxiety disorder, there are several actions you can take before making an appointment with your doctor or starting a course of anti-anxiety medication.
- It is important to try to speak to someone about your anxiety. It could be a trusted friend, a member of your family or a specialist helpline, but talking to someone is always better than suffering in silence.
- Some form of physical activity such walking, running, and swimming are great for clearing the mind of problems, and can help to relax.
- Improve sleep hygiene to improve the quality and length of sleep
- Large projects or tasks are less stressful when broken into smaller more manageable pieces
- Relaxation and mindfulness apps are becoming popular ways to slow down thought processes and reduce stress
However, if you looking for a more immediate assessment to help decide if anxiety treatment is needed, there are some simple online tests that can be completed in minutes that will guide you towards dealing with your problem.